The history of the School of Foreign Studies (SFS) dates back to 1921 when the Osaka School of Foreign Languages was founded, with the aim of nurturing internationally-minded personnel in Osaka. It was supported financially by Choko Hayashi (1873-1945), an Osaka businesswoman, who made a private donation of ¥1,000,000. Based on this donation, the Japanese government established the School in 8-cHome, Uehonmachi, Tennoji-ku, Osaka City.
In April 1944 the School was renamed Osaka College of Foreign Affairs. In 1949, when the Law on the Establishment of National Schools came into effect, Osaka University of Foreign Studies (OUFS) was established, based on the existing Osaka College of Foreign Affairs. OUFS was one of Japan's only two national universities of foreign studies. In 1979, OUFS moved its campus to its present location in Minoo City.
Initially OUFS offered foreign language education in 12 world languages. However, the number eventually increased to 25, in accordance with OUFS's development as Japan's major center for language education and research.
In October 2007, OUFS was consolidated with Osaka University, becoming the School of Foreign Studies (SFS) of Osaka University. Offering 25 languages as majors, including Japanese, SFS is the only one school of foreign studies among all comprehensive national universities in Japan.
|1921||Osaka School of Foreign Languages founded.|
|1922||School opening ceremony held.|
|1937||Hanazono Sports Ground newly established.|
|1944||Renamed Osaka College of Foreign Affairs|
|1945||Many of the College's buildings, excluding the library, burned down during the war|
|1946||Moved to the site of the former headquarters of Engineering Regiment No. 4 in Takatsuki City, Osaka Prefecture to conduct classes.
Administration office moved to 8-cHome, Uehonmachi, Tennoji, Osaka.
|1949||Osaka University of Foreign Studies established.|
|1951||Osaka College of Foreign Affairs abolished.|
|1959||Junior College (evening course) of Osaka University of Foreign Studies established.|
|1965||Stopped enrollment of students for Junior College (evening course)
The University's Night School established.
|1969||Graduate School (master's course) for Foreign Studies opened.|
|1972||Commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the University.|
|1979||Moved to 2734, Oaza Aomatani, Minoo City.
Classes started at Aomatani Campus.
|1981||Completion of the University's new buildings celebrated.|
|1993||Day School and Night School closed and Department of International Studies (Day and Evening Courses) and Department of Area Studies (Day and Evening Courses) opened.|
|2004||Osaka University of Foreign Studies, Inc. inaugurated.|
|2006||Ceremony held to sign the agreement for promoting integration between Osaka University and Osaka University of Foreign Studies|
|2007||Consolidated with Osaka University (October 1)
School of Foreign Studies, Osaka University, inaugurated.
|2008||Commenced enrollment for the School of Foreign Studies, Osaka University
Enrollment ceremony for the first students held (April 1)
Alumni Association of Osaka University of Foreign Studies, Osaka Gaikokugo Daigaku 70 Nenshi (70 Years' History of Osaka University of Foreign Studies). Alumni Association of Osaka University of Foreign Studies, 1989.
Alumni Association of Osaka University of Foreign Studies, Osaka Gaikokugo Daigaku 70 Nenshi: Shiryou-Shu (Data Book of 70 Years' History of Osaka University of Foreign Studies). Alumni Association of Osaka University of Foreign Studies, 1989.
Osaka University of Foreign Studies, Osaka Gaikokugo Daigaku no Genjyou to Kadai (Present Conditions and Challenges of Osaka University of Foreign Studies). Osaka University of Foreign Studies, 1994.
Eiichi Takasugi, Takeshi Abe, and Masaki Kan, eds. Osaka Daigaku no Rekishi (History of Osaka University). Osaka University Press, 2009.